Please help us beg our landlord over our rents, tenants tell court

Two tenants- Samuel Uguru and Alom Chioma, on Thursday pleaded with a Masaka Chief Magistrates’ Court, Nasarawa State, to help beg their landlord to exercise patience in respect of their rent arrears.

The landlord, Audu Hassan, dragged the defendants to court over N12, 500 each of them owed him as five months rent arrears.

Pleading before the court, Uguru, 35, said that he could not meet up with the payment of his house rent because he lost his job.
“I was a casual staff with an organisation I wouldn’t want to disclose. They recently stopped me from working with them. I am a graduate of Geography Education, BSc to be precise.
“This predicament made me to withdraw my son from school and to send him to the village.

“I’ve just picked up a teaching job and I’m hoping that when they pay me, I will settle my landlord with half of the salary and balance him later. “But if he says he does not want me in his house, he should give me three months more to vacate his house,” he said.

Chioma, the second defendant, however, told the court that she had never had any issue with her landlord for the past 10 years she had been staying in the compound. “I have, however, not been doing anything currently and my husband left me the moment I took in for the baby I’m carrying now,” she said.

The plaintiff, Hassan, however, said he would only give both tenants one week to vacate his premises. He stressed that they should go with the arrears as he was no longer interested. “Both are yearly tenants.

Their house rents expired since September 2016, but they had refused to renew their rents of N12, 500 each,” he said. The Chief Magistrate, Mr Victor Manga, pleaded with the plaintiff to exercise little patience with the defendants and give them one month within which to look for alternative accommodation. He adjourned the case till March 23 for report.


No comments: